Every investor and trader wants a cheap investing site to do their online trading. Just like nobody likes paying taxes, nobody likes paying expensive commissions when trading. Here are the cheapest investing sites out there so that you can make sure that you’re getting a good deal when you trade.
We’re going to strive to keep this list updated with the best deals in online brokerages, so make sure that you check back and make sure that you know where the cheap investing sites to make sure that you get the cheapest brokerage commissions. Plus, we’ve found some amazing deals and promo codes that you can use to make these cheap investing sites even cheaper!
Online Brokers With The Lowest Commissions:
OptionsHouse has positioned itself as a leader in the online brokerage space by consistently offering the lowest commissions out there. The pride themselves on speed and reliability, while offering extremely low priced investing.
- Stock Trade: $3.95
- $5 for 5 Contracts, or $8.50 + $0.15 per Contract
We’ve also got some amazing promotions to make OptionsHouse an even better value. Right now, you can check out any of the following promo codes if you use this link: OptionsHouse Sign-Up. When you do, use these codes to save more:
- 100 Commission-Free Trades if you open an account with at least $5,000: FREE100
- $100 Cash Credit if you move your stock, option, or mutual fund holding: ACAT100REFUND
OptionsXpress is another online brokerage that is always vying for the top spot when it comes to being a cheap investing site. OptionsXpress was actually acquired by Charles Schwab, but they still maintain a focus on being a low priced online brokerage.
- Stock Trade: $8.95 per trade
- Options Trade: $1.25 per Contract
- Futures Trade: $3.50 per Contract
Options Express runs various promotions all year long. Right now, they are offering 50 free trades if you sign up with this link: OptionsXpress Sign-Up. Check back often because they also offer free money for signing up o a regular basis.
motto is “Building a Better Online Broker”, and they’re trying to do that by creating a great trading platform that also has low commissions. While they aren’t the cheapest investing site, they are very close, and they offer more services than OptionsHouse or Options Xpress. has the second lowest pricing for stock trades, and their options pricing is very competitive as well.
- Stock Trade: $4.95 per trade
- Options Trade: $4.95 base + $0.65 per contract (they also only charge one base per spread)
Right now, Trade King is offering $150 in transfer fee refunds if you move to Trade King from another broker. You don’t have to enter any promotional codes – the credit will be applied automatically after any transfer takes place.
Trade Monster has been named the best online brokerage for options trading by Barron’s magazine for the last 4 years. If you’re looking for a cheap way to trade options, Trade Monster is probably the online broker for you.
- Stock Trade: $7.50 per trade
- Options Trade: $0.50 per Contract, $12.50 minimum ($15 minimum for spreads)
- Futures Trade: $1.50 per Contract
Right now, if you open an account at Trade Monster using this link and promo code, you can trade commission free for 30 days:
- Trade Monster Open Account Now! – Promo Code CJ30FREE
We’ve been fans of Sharebuilder for a long time, and last year it was bought by Captial One, but it still delivers exceptional value for the right investor. Sharebuilder’s value is in long term buy and hold investors, where it is still one of the cheapest investing sites out there. It doesn’t cater to traders, but if you want to buy and hold for the long term, Sharebuilder is for you.
- Stock Trades: $6.95 per Trade
- ShareBuilder also offers an automatic investing plan for long-term investors, with commissions starting at $4 per trade, or 12 investments for $12
- Options Trades: $6.95 Base + $0.65 per Contract
Right now, they are offering a free $100 promotion if you open an account and fund it with at least $5,000. You can open an account here to get the promotion: ShareBuilder $100 Promotion.
Scottrade was one of the original online discount brokers. They also pioneered the flat rate pricing structure that many of the other online brokers use today. Today, they are trying to differentiate themselves by setting up offices across the country and offering more personalized services, for the same low flat rate.
- Stock Trades: $7 per Trade
- Options Trades: $7 Base + $1.25 per Contract
As of today, Scottrade does not have any promotions running. However, check back often, and we’ll keep you updated on the latest offers from Scottrade.
TD Ameritrade isn’t the absolute cheapest investing site, but it is the cheapest full service broker. I’m a fan of TD Ameritrade because they run the trading platform ThinkorSwim, which is a must-have for options traders and anyone who wants amazing charts. If you’re looking for just a little bit more than what the other companies on this list offer, then check out TD Ameritrade.
- Stock Trades: $9.99 per Trade
- Options Trades: $9.99 Base + $0.75 per Contract
Right now, TD Ameritrade is offering customers an amazing promotion if you Sign Up For TD Ameritrade. Here are the 4 choices currently available:
- Open an Account with $2,000 and get 60 Days of Commission Free Trades
- Open an Account with $25,000 or more, and get $100 plus 60 Days of Free Trades
- Open an Account with $100,000 or more, and get $300 plus 60 Days of Free Trades
- Open an Account with $250,000 or more, and get $600 plus 60 Days of Free Trades
Make sure you use this link: TD Ameritrade to get the promotional offers!
Motif Investing is different from every company on this list because it’s not a traditional broker in the sense of the others. Instead, Motif Investing allows you to buy a “motif” or basket of stocks for a single, low priced commission. These baskets are up to 30 stocks for one low price, which makes Motif Investing one of the cheap investing sites out there.
- Stock Trade: $9.95 up to 30 stocks in a single Motif
Right now, Motif Investing is offering a special deal to College Investor readers. If you click this link: Motif Investing, and invest over $2,000 and make 5 trades, you will get $150 bonus cash deposited into your account. Want the $150? Sign up for Motif Investing.
Do you know a cheap investing site that you love? Did I miss a cheap online broker here? Share your thoughts in the comments below!