Rhode Island Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
Rhode Island has several student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of Rhode Island.
However, residents of the State of Rhode Island can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
If you have private student loans, it might make more sense to refinance your loans and see if you can get a lower interest rate and payment. We recommend Credible for student loan refinancing because you can find out in 2 minutes or less if it's worth it. Try out Credible here. You can earn up to a $1,000 gift card bonus when you refinance!
If you're not quite sure where to start or what to do, consider using a tool like Chipper where you can find the best repayment program and student loan forgiveness options that you may qualify for. Check out Chipper here >>
Rhode Island Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: Health Professional Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Varies
- Description: To improve access to care and retain providers who provide healthcare services in underserved communities and to address health professional shortages that cause disparities in health.
- Program Information: Health Professional Loan Repayment Program
Program: Nurse Educators Loan Forgiveness Program
- Amount: Up to $5,000 per year, for 4 years
- Description: The Nurse Educators Loan Forgiveness Program is funded by the Rhode Island Student Loan Authority (RISLA). RISLA will make loan repayment awards in exchange for service commitments by Nurse Educators newly recruited to the position.
- Requirements: Nurse Educators hired on or after April 1, 2012 to teach at a degree granting accredited institution in Rhode Island licensed by the Rhode Island Board of Nursing Registration are eligible to apply.
- Program Information: Nurse Educators Loan Forgiveness Program
Program: The Wavemaker Fellowship
- Amount: The fellowship provides a redeemable tax credit with a maximum annual limit of $6,000 for graduate degree holders, $4,000 for bachelor's degree holders, and $1,000 for associate's degree holders.
- Description: The Wavemaker Fellowship provides a financial incentive for graduates pursuing a career or starting a business in Rhode Island in technology, engineering, design and other key sectors, by defraying student loan payments for up to four years.
- Requirements: For recent graduates – of any age – working in STEM and certain design fields in the state.
- Note: This program is currently not accepting applications.
- Program Information: Wavemaker Fellowship
Remember, RISLA (Rhode Island Student Loan Authority) also offers great incentives to Rhode Island student loan borrowers.
If you're still looking for ways to pay for college in Rhode Island, check out our full guide to Rhode Island student loans and scholarships.
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.