North Carolina Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
North Carolina has several student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of North Carolina.
However, residents of the State of North Carolina can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
If you have private student loans, it might make more sense to refinance your loans and see if you can get a lower interest rate and payment. We recommend Credible for student loan refinancing because you can find out in 2 minutes or less if it's worth it. Try out Credible here. You can get a $200 bonus if you refinance with Credible.
If you're not quite sure where to start or what to do, consider hiring a CFA to help you with your student loans. We recommend The Student Loan Planner to help you put together a solid financial plan for your student loan debt. Check out The Student Loan Planner here.
North Carolina Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: Forgivable Education Loans for Service
- Amount: Varies
- Description: Established by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2011, the Forgivable Education Loans for Service provides financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority provides administration for the program.
§ Must be a legal North Carolina resident and NC resident for tuition purposes
§ Must, at the time of application, present a cumulative minimum grade point average
§ Must register with the Selective Service System, if required
§ Recipients must not be in default, or does not owe a refund, under any federal or State loan or grant program
§ Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the enrolling policy of the institution.
§ Must be willing to work in NC in a designated critical employment shortage profession.
- Program Information: https://www.cfnc.org/FELS
Program: North Carolina State Loan Repayment Program for Mental Health Professionals
- Amount: Up to $30,000
- Description: If you want to make a positive difference in the delivery of primary and psychiatric care to people in rural and underserved areas, North Carolina is looking for you. Our services help identify opportunities throughout the State that match your personal and professional needs. These opportunities are located in a variety of practice settings including Federal Community Health Centers, State-Sponsored Rural Health Centers, and County Health Departments.
§ US citizen or legal resident
§ Licensed to practice in the state where they will work
§ Employed by an eligible site located in a federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area
§ Have outstanding eligible student loans
- Program Information: http://www.ncdhhs.gov/orhcc/
Program: NC LEAF Loan Assistance Repayment Program
- Amount: Varies
- Description: NC LEAF is committed to providing forgivable loans to public interest attorneys with the least ability to repay their law school debt.
§ An Applicant must have earned a J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school within the past ten (10) years and be a licensed member in good standing of the North Carolina State Bar.
§ An Applicant's Annual Gross Income (AGI) from all sources must not exceed $50,000.00 for a single person or $90,000.00 for a couple (spouses and domestic partners included) in the Adjusted Gross Income category of your 2013 income taxes. Line 21 on form 1040A.
§ An Applicant must currently have at least $10,000.00 remaining in law school debt.
§ Applications will not be accepted without a monthly loan payment amount and one year of payment history.
§ Monthly assistance payments will not exceed $400
- Program Information: http://ncleaf.org/content/applicants
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.