New Jersey Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
New Jersey has several student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of New Jersey.
However, residents of the State of New Jersey can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
New Jersey Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: John R. Justice Federal Student Loan Redemption Program
- Amount: Varies
- Description: Loan Redemption programs such as the John R. Justice Loan Redemption program are successful in attracting and retaining capable attorneys to careers that they might otherwise not consider.
§ Must be currently employed full-time as an eligible prosecutor or public defender, and
§ Must have eligible outstanding student loan debt in good standing with each lender
§ Must sign a service agreement committing to remain employed as an eligible public defender or prosecutor for at least three years
- Program Information: http://www.hesaa.org/Pages/JohnRJusticeLoanRedemptionProgram.aspx
Program: Primary Care Physician and Dentist Loan Redemption Program
- Amount: Up to $120,000
- Description: The Primary Care Physician and Dentist Loan Redemption Program promotes access to primary care services in medically underserved areas of the State by improving the distribution of primary care health providers, including physicians, dentists, physician assistants and certified nurse practitioners and certified nurse midwives, by providing for the redemption of eligible student loans expenses of providers in exchange for a specified periods of service in medically underserved areas.
§ Be a resident of the State of New Jersey
§ Be licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey;
§ Secure an undergraduate medical school, dental school, or other primary care professional school faculty member’s recommendation for program participation;
§ Execute a contact for a minimum period of 2 years, which includes a six-month probationary period
§ In the case of a physician, have completed an accredited residency training program and received a recommendation from the director of the training program concerning participation in the loan redemption program;
§ Agree to practice primary care medicine, dentistry, or another primary care profession in a State designated underserved area;
§ Not be in default on any qualifying student loan;
§ Service must begin within two years of the completion of training or residency.
- Program Information: http://www.hesaa.org/Pages/PrimaryCarePhysicianDentistLoanRedemptionProgram.aspx
Program: Nursing Faculty Loan Redemption Program
- Amount: Varies
- Description: To address the current and projected critical shortage of nurse faculty in the State of New Jersey by providing an incentive for persons to enter graduate nursing education programs by offering student loan redemption in exchange for full-time faculty employment at a school of nursing in the State of New Jersey for a five-year period following completion of the approved graduate degree program.
§ Be a resident of the State of New Jersey and maintain domicile in the State during participation in the program;
§ Have obtained a degree from an approved graduate degree program
§ Have maintained a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0, or its equivalent while enrolled in an approved graduate degree program;
§ Be hired for full-time faculty employment on or after July 1, 2010 at a school of nursing in the State of New Jersey. Employment must begin within one year of completing approved graduate program;
§ Complete five years of employment as full-time nursing faculty at a school of nursing in the State of New Jersey;
§ Have an outstanding balance with a State or Federal student loan program and not be in default on any student loan.
- Program Information: http://www.hesaa.org/Pages/NursingFacultyLoanRedemptionProgram.aspx
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.