Texas Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
Texas has multiple student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of Texas.
However, residents of the State of Texas can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
If you have private student loans, it might make more sense to refinance your loans and see if you can get a lower interest rate and payment. We recommend Credible for student loan refinancing because you can find out in 2 minutes or less if it's worth it. Try out Credible here. You can get up to a $1,000 gift card bonus if you refinance with them.
If you're not quite sure where to start or what to do, consider using a tool like Chipper to help you navigate the best repayment plan and any student loan forgiveness program you may qualify for. Check out Chipper here >>
Texas Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: Nursing Faculty Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Amount: Up to $7,000 yearly
- Description: The Nursing Loan Repayment Assistance Program was authorized by the Texas Legislature (83rd Regular Session) to improve access to nursing education programs by encouraging qualified nurses to serve as faculty at eligible institutions of higher education.
§ Must hold a master’s or doctoral degree in nursing
§ Must be licensed to practice in Texas
§ Must be employed as faculty at an eligible institution
- Program Information: Nursing Faculty Loan Repayment Assistance Program
Program: Physician Education Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Up to $160,000
- Description: The Physician Education Loan Repayment Program (PELRP) provides loan repayment funds for up to $160,000 over a period of four years to qualifying physicians.
§ Must Hold a full physician license from the Texas Medical Board, with no restrictions
§ Must Be eligible to take the exam for board certification from specialty boards established in THECB administrative rules, if the physician has not earned and maintained board certification
§ Must Agree to provide four consecutive years of service in a (1) federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), (2) secure correctional facility operated by or under contract with the Texas Juvenile Justice Department*, or (3) secure correctional facility operated by or under contract with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice*
§ Must Provide direct patient care to Medicaid enrollees and CHIP enrollees, if the practice includes children
§ Not be under any other service obligation
- Program Information: Physician Education Loan Repayment Program
Program: Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Amount: Up to $2,500
- Description: The purpose of the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program (TFTLRAP) is to recruit and retain certified classroom teachers in fields and communities that have a shortage of teachers in Texas.
- Program Information: Teach For Texas Program
Program: Texas Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Amount: Up to $4,800 yearly
- Description: The Texas Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program (Texas SLRAP) is currently funded by the State Bar of Texas and administered by the Texas Access to Justice Foundation (TAJF). The Texas SLRAP was created by the Texas Access to Justice Commission in 2003 to assist attorneys who choose to pursue careers in legal aid in Texas.
- Requirements: Attorneys are eligible for loan repayment assistance through this Program if they work full-time for any Texas legal aid program that is:
a) a recipient of Texas Access to Justice Foundation (TAJF) funds,
b) a recipient of Legal Services Corporation funds, or
c) a Texas non-profit that provides civil legal services, if at least 50 percent of the services provided are free to Texans whose income is 200 percent of federal poverty guidelines or less.
- Program Information: Texas Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program
Program: Educational Loan Repayment Program for Attorneys Employed by the Office of the Attorney General
- Amount: Up to $18,000
- Description: The purpose of this loan repayment program is to recruit and retain attorneys in the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) of the State of Texas.
- Program Information: Education Loan Repayment Program for Attorneys
If you're looking for help paying for college in Texas, check out this guide to Texas student loans and scholarship programs.
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.