Michigan Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
Michigan has several student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of Michigan.
However, residents of the State of Michigan can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
If you have private student loans, it might make more sense to refinance your loans and see if you can get a lower interest rate and payment. We recommend Credible for student loan refinancing because you can find out in 2 minutes or less if it's worth it. Try out Credible here. You can get up to a $1,000 bonus if you refinance with Credible.
If you're not quite sure where to start or what to do, consider using a tool like Chipper to help you navigate your student loans. Chipper will show you the lowest repayment plan option, as well as any loan forgiveness programs you may qualify for. Plus, it helps you track your eligibility, helps with your paperwork, and more! Check out Chipper here >>
Michigan Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: Michigan State Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Up to $200,000
- Description: MSLRP helps employers recruit and retain primary medical, dental, and mental healthcare providers by providing loan repayment to those entering into MSLRP service obligations. MSLRP service obligations require participants to provide full-time primary healthcare services in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) at not-for-profit health clinics for two years.
- Requirements: Eligible providers must work at practice sites located in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) or at sites which have HPSA facility designations. The federal government designates areas and facilities with provider shortages as ‘Health Professional Shortage Areas' for primary medical, dental, and mental health services. To be eligible, providers must work at practice sites with the appropriate type of HPSA designation for their disciplines.
- How To Apply: Michigan State Loan Repayment Application
- Program Information: Michigan State Loan Repayment Program
Program: John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Up to $10,000 per year, maximum of $60,000
- Description: The John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program provides for the payment of eligible educational loans (both Federal Family Education Loan Program [FFELP] and Federal Direct Loans) for state and federal public defenders and state prosecutors who agree to remain employed as public defenders and prosecutors for at least three years.
§ Must be a US citizen or legal resident
§ Have an outstanding balance on eligible loans
§ be an attorney (or have accepted an employment offer) continually licensed to practice law, and a full-time employee of the state of Michigan or unit of local government (including tribal government) who prosecutes criminal or juvenile delinquency cases at the state or unit of local government level, or
§ a full-time employee of the state of Michigan or unit of local government (including tribal government) who provides legal representation to indigent persons in criminal or juvenile delinquency cases, or
§ a full-time employee of an nonprofit organization operating under a contract with Michigan or unit of local government who devotes substantially all of the employee's full-time employment to providing legal representation to indigent persons in criminal or juvenile cases, or
§ employed in Michigan as a full-time federal defender attorney in a defender organization pursuant to Subsection (g) of section 3006A of Title 18, United States Code
- Program Information: John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program
If you're looking for ways to pay for college in Michigan, check out this guide: Michigan Student Loan and Financial Aid Program list.
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.