Iowa Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
Iowa is one of the states with the most student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of Iowa.
However, residents of the State of Iowa can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
If you have private student loans, it might make more sense to refinance your loans and see if you can get a lower interest rate and payment. We recommend Credible for student loan refinancing because you can find out in 2 minutes or less if it's worth it. Try out Credible here. You can earn up to a $750 bonus if you refinance with them.
If you're not quite sure where to start or what to do, consider using a tool like LoanBuddy to help you navigate your student loans. LoanBuddy will show you the lowest repayment plan option, as well as any loan forgiveness programs you may qualify for. Plus, it helps you track your eligibility, helps with your paperwork, and more! Check out LoanBuddy here >>
Iowa Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: Teach Iowa Scholars
- Amount: Up to $4,000 per year, for a maximum of 5 years
- Description: The Teach Iowa Scholar Program provides qualified first-year Iowa teachers with awards of up to $4,000 a year, for a maximum of five years, for teaching in Iowa schools in designated shortage areas.
§ Graduate in the top 25% academically of all teacher preparation program graduates during an academic year at a postsecondary institution. Top 25% academically is defined and certified by the postsecondary institution.
§ Secure full-time employment in an eligible teaching field at a school district or area education agency.
- Program Information: Teach Iowa Scholars
Program: Iowa Registered Nurse & Nurse Educator Loan Forgiveness Program
- Amount: Up to 20% of the eligible student loan balance
- Description: The State of Iowa offers loan repayment assistance to registered nurses employed in Iowa and nurse educators teaching at eligible Iowa colleges and universities.
§ Be a nurse educator who hold master's, specialist's, or doctorate degrees and is employed by eligible Iowa colleges or universities; or a registered nurse who is employed as a nurse in Iowa.
§ Have been first employed as nurse educator or registered nurse in Iowa no earlier than July 1, 2007.
§ Have an outstanding balance on an eligible loan
§ Be employed at least quarter time with a minimum of 520 hours over the course of the year.
- How To Apply: Iowa Aid Applications
- Program Information: Iowa Nurse Loan Forgiveness Program
Program: Rural Iowa Primary Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Up to $200,000
- Description: The Rural Iowa Primary Care Loan Repayment Program was established to address critical doctor shortages in rural Iowa communities. The program provides loan repayment incentives to individuals that practice in specified locations for up to five years.
§ Attends the Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine or the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine.
§ Is enrolled full-time in a program leading to a doctor of medicine degree or a doctor of osteopathy degree.
§ Receives a recommendation from his or her college contact.
- Program Information: Rural Iowa Primary Loan Repayment Program
Program: Rural Iowa RN and PA Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Up to $20,000
- Description: The Rural Iowa Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant Loan Repayment Program was established to address critical advanced registered nurse and physician assistant shortages in rural Iowa communities. The program provides loan repayment incentives to individuals that practice in specified locations for up to five years.
§ Attends an eligible Iowa college or university
§ Is enrolled full-time in a graduate level program of study that will qualify the individual for licensure to practice as a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
§ Receives a recommendation from his or her eligible Iowa college or university.
Program: Health Professional Recruitment Program
- Amount: Up to $100,000
- Description: Iowa’s Health Professional Recruitment Program (HPRP) is an innovative loan repayment program for graduates of Des Moines University’s D.O., D.P.M., D.P.T. and PA programs. Through a combination of state funding and money from communities in need of health care providers, HPRP can reduce your student debt up to $100,000.
- Program Information: Health Professional Recruitment Program
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.