California Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
California has several student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of California.
However, residents of the State of California can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
California Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment
- Amount: Up to $105,000
- Description: The Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program encourages recently licensed physicians to practice in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) in California. The program authorizes a plan for repaying up to $105,000 in educational loans in exchange for full-time service for a minimum of three (3) years.
§ Be an allopathic or osteopathic physician
§ Be free of any contractual service obligations (i.e the National Health Service Corps Federal Loan Repayment Program or other financial incentive programs)
§ Have outstanding educational debt from a government or commercial lending institution
§ Have a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine in California
§ Be currently employed or have accepted employment in a Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) in California
§ Commit to providing full-time direct patient care in a HPSA for a minimum of three (3) years
- Program Information: http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/HPEF/STLRP.html
Program: California State Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Up to $50,000
- Description: SLRP authorizes repayment of educational loans to health professionals, who in turn must commit to practice in medically underserved areas in public or non-profit entities for a minimum of two years and maximum of four years.
§ Possess a current unrestricted CA license to practice
§ Be a US citizen
§ Be free from judgments arising from federal debt
§ Not have any existing service obligations for other programs
§ Not be in breach of any health service obligation
§ Be current on any child support payments
§ Be employed at a SLRP eligible site
§ Commit to full-time or half-time two-year service obligation
- How To Apply: Go here to apply https://calreach.oshpd.ca.gov/Login2.aspx?APPTHEME=CAOSHPD
- Program Information: http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/hwdd/slrp.html
Program: CDA Foundation Student Loan Repayment Grant
- Amount: Up to $35,000 per year for 3 years
- Description: To offset some of the financial burden, the CDA Foundation awards selected recent dental school/specialty graduates with grants toward repaying their educational loan of up to $35,000 per year for a maximum of $105,000 over three years in exchange for a commitment by recipients to care for the underserved.
§ Graduate from an American Dental Association accredited dental school within 3 years of application or be poised to graduate within 3 months of application
§ Be eligible to practice dentistry in California
§ Be a legal citizen or resident of the US
§ Submit an application packet
§ Have outstanding student loans
§ Sign a binding contract to serve a minimum of 36 months
§ Secure employment with an eligible work site
§ Provide at least 30 hours of hands-on dental work per week
§ Not be in default or have judgment on student loans
- Program Information: http://www.cdafoundation.org/scholarships-grants/student-loan-repayment-grant
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.