Alaska Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
Alaska has one student loan forgiveness program that is specific to just the State of Alaska.
However, residents of the State of Alaska can potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
If you have private student loans, it might make more sense to refinance your loans and see if you can get a lower interest rate and payment. We recommend Credible for student loan refinancing because you can find out in 2 minutes or less if it's worth it. Try out Credible here.
If you're not quite sure where to start or what to do, consider using a tool like LoanBuddy to help you navigate your student loans. LoanBuddy will show you the lowest repayment plan option, as well as any loan forgiveness programs you may qualify for. Plus, it helps you track your eligibility, helps with your paperwork, and more! Check out LoanBuddy here >>
Alaska Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: SHARP II - Heath Care Professions Loan Repayment and Incentive Program
- Amount: Varies by profession and salary
- Description: SHARP-II provides loan repayment and direct incentive. Both full-time and half-time contract options are available. After an initial three years of service, those clinicians in good standing may gain the opportunity for another three-year contract (renewal).
- Requirements: SHARP-II has certain stipulations, a key one being that holding a concurrent service obligation with virtually any other entity is specifically disallowed (e.g., NHSC, I.H.S., and so on). Another key stipulation is that each participating Site must contribute a partial employer match to its clinician’s support-for-service payment, although reduction of this required match amount may be possible in some circumstances. Further, all participating Sites must be within Alaska-designated health care service shortage areas (HCSSAs). Sites must accept patients who receive Medicaid or Medicare, and the uninsured on a sliding fee basis.
- How To Apply: Any questions about all matters regarding SHARP should be directed to: Robert Sewell, Ph.D., Program Manager, SHARP Program, Alaska DHSS, (907) 465-4065, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can find the website here: Alaska Health Planning
Check out the Alaska Student Loan and Financial Aid program list if you're looking for ways to pay for college in Alaska.
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.