Securing a spot at your dream college won't be easy, so any advantage you can gain is critical.
Many college admissions offices look closely at standardized test scores, so you'll want to beef up your SAT or ACT results to increase your chances of getting into your desired college.
Kaplan Test Prep provides courses designed to boost your scores. This review dives into Kaplan Test Prep’s offerings for the SAT and ACT, examining their options thoroughly.
- Kaplan Test Prep offers prep work for many standardized tests, including the SAT and ACT.
- The company offers a higher score guarantee for SAT prep, with a money-back guarantee if you don’t improve your score.
- The classes are led by teachers who scored in the 99th percentile.
Kaplan Test Prep Details
SAT and ACT Test Prep
What Is Kaplan?
Kaplan is a college admissions services company that provides standardized test prep for students. The company supports over 120 standardized tests, including the SAT and ACT. As of writing, Kaplan serves more than 2 million customers yearly in over 36 countries.
What Does It Offer?
Kaplan Test Prep offers a wide range of test prep services. But for the purposes of this review, we will focus on the ACT and SAT offerings.
Kaplan offers four different styles of SAT prep work. You can choose to prepare for either the digital SAT or the paper SAT. Below is a breakdown of the prep options:
- Live online SAT prep course: This course includes 18 hours of live instruction with at least two teachers, realistic practice tests, a digital performance dashboard, and on-demand lessons. It starts at $799.
- SAT Bootcamp course: If you want to prepare for the SAT in just two to three weeks, this is a good option. It includes 18 hours of live instruction, realistic practice tests, and private Q&A sessions with your teacher. The cost is $799.
- SAT Tutoring + Live Online Class: This offering combines the live online course with multiple hours of one on one tutoring. Depending on your needs, you can choose from 10, 20, 30, or 40 hours of private tutoring. It starts at $1,999.
- Unlimited Prep: If you want to prepare for multiple standardized tests, including the SAT, ACT, PSAT, and AP exams, this is a good option. For a price of $1,999, you can access as many prep courses as you want throughout your high school career.
As a student, Kaplan offers many different ways to prepare for the SAT. The right option varies based on your individual test prep needs. For example, a student preparing for a SAT in a few weeks might prefer the Bootcamp. But a student looking to take multiple standardized tests, including AP tests, might get more value out of the Unlimited Prep option.
Kaplan shines with realistic practice test options and ample support. Additionally, the company offers a higher score guarantee. If you don’t improve your score, you can get your money back.
Students can also access ACT Prep through Kaplan. There are a few different options to choose from:
- Live online: You can take a live online ACT prep class for $549. It includes official practice questions and classes led by a knowledgeable teacher.
- Self-paced: If you prefer to work without a teacher, you can purchase a self-paced prep option. It’s also more affordable at a price of $119.
- Online tutoring: Kaplan also offers online private tutoring with an expert, starting at $749. You can choose to purchase 5, 10, 20, 30, or 40 hours of private tutoring.
The right teacher can make all the difference. With that in mind, Kaplan only works with teachers who score in the 99th percentile for either test. In other words, your teachers know exactly what it takes to improve your test scores.
Real Test Questions
Both the ACT and SAT prep work include real test questions. When you practice with real test questions, you can get comfortable with how the test works.
Are There Any Fees?
Kaplan doesn’t offer any free prep options. Instead, you can expect to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for a prep program. But the amount you pay will vary based on the prep work you choose. In general, the more teacher-lead training and private sessions, the higher the price tag.
If you aren’t sure that Kaplan is the right fit, you have the option to try a class for free. You can use the free class to determine if the style of prep work suits your needs.
How Does Kaplan Test Prep Compare?
Kaplan isn’t the only company offering test prep services. Here’s how it stacks up.
Prep Expert offers a wider range of services, including admissions counseling. In terms of price, prep work for the ACT and SAT is similar to Kaplan.
If you are looking for free prep options, Khan Academy is a solid choice. It offers free prep tools to help you get ready for the SAT. However, it doesn’t offer ACT prep options. While you won’t have access to private tutoring through Khan Academy, you will find many practice tests and video lessons to prepare.
$119 - $1,999
$6,999 - $13,999
How Do I Open An Account?
If you are ready to work with Kaplan, the process starts by choosing the type of prep you want to pursue. Once you’ve decided on the right package, you can sign up for it directly on the website. For students selecting a package with live class sessions, you’ll need to confirm the class times work for you before signing up.
You can enroll by making a Kaplan account with your name and email. If you want to spread out the cost, you can tap into Affirm for a monthly payment option.
Is It Safe And Secure?
How Do I Contact Kaplan Test Prep?
If you need to get in touch with Kaplan, you can call 1-800-527-8378. You can also message the company on X (formerly Twitter), Facebook, or Instagram.
Is It Worth It?
Students who want to improve their SAT or ACT scores might find what they are looking for through Kaplan. The company offers practical test prep coursework to help you build your scores. Of course, you’ll have to put in the time to make the most of the opportunity.
The catch is that you’ll have to pay for Kaplan’s resources. Depending on your situation, the cost might be worth it. But if the price tag is out of reach, consider turning to free test prep options, like Khan Academy.
Kaplan Test Prep Features
SAT and ACT Test Prep
Experience of Kaplan Teachers
Kaplan classes are led by teachers who scored in the 99th percentile for the test that they teach.
Get your money back if you don't improve your SAT score (terms and conditions apply)
Customer Service Number
Kaplan Test Prep Review
Variety of Packages
Kaplan is a college admissions services company that provides classes and tutoring for over 120 standardized tests, including the SAT and ACT.
- Plenty of test prep resources
- Teachers scored in the 99th percentile
- SAT score improvement guarantee
- Expensive price tag
Sarah Sharkey is a personal finance writer covering banking, insurance, credit cards, mortgages and student loans. She has written for numerous finance publications, including MagnifyMoney, Business Insider and ChooseFI. Her blog, Adventurous Adulting, helps young adults get a handle on their finances.
Editor: Colin Graves Reviewed by: Robert Farrington