Since the year began I’ve been meticulously combing through my budget trying to get my expenses lowered. While I was successful at most recurring monthly bills it seemed like my biggest problems were the everyday items.
In particular, one little habit seemed to be wrecking my grocery budget: energy drinks.
I’ve never been much of coffee drinker but I love caffeine. Over the year I’ve eliminated my daily pop drinking but haven’t been able to kick my morning Monster Energy drink ritual. (Or I’ve-got-too-much-work-to-do-crack-open-an-energy-drink-ritual!)
So I’ve been thinking of how I could lower this cost. In my efforts I’ve found ways to save on quite a few of my regular everyday expenses!
Comparing Costs First
My first step was to start comparing the costs of energy drinks at various places. At the gas station they’re normally $2 for a 16 oz. can – quite expensive. I’ve checked every store in town and Kroger seems to be the lowest price with costs being an average of $1.60 per can. (Sometimes as high as $2.00 and sometimes as low as $1.40, depending on the stock they carry which is normally sold out!!)
I hit up Amazon to see what kind of prices they offered expecting them to be astronomical when factoring in shipping. I was wrong! They had a 24 pack of the kind I drink for $35.28 with free shipping. This was just slightly less than the average Kroger cost.
But then I remembered Amazon’s subscribe and save program.
How Amazon’s Subscribe and Save Works
Amazon has a program called Subscribe and Save that you can participate in to get auto deliveries of the products you use on a regular basis. It comes with free shipping and five percent off. But it gets even better – if you subscribe to a total of five items you get 15% off all of your subscribe and save orders.
You can choose how often you want to get your deliveries and can cancel at any time. It really is a no obligation sort of thing.
So now I just had to find four more items that were cheaper on Amazon than what I normally pay. It took me about an hour of price comparing but here’s what I came out with:
- Kid’s Suave 2 in 1 Shampoo. K-Mart Regular Price $2.99. Amazon regular price $1.89 minus fifteen percent off $1.61. Total savings $1.38 per bottle!!
- Herbal Essences Shampoo 1 Pack. K-Mart Regular Price $2.99. Amazon price $2.50, minus fifteen percent $2.13! Total savings $0.86
- Herbal Essences Conditioner 2 Pack. K-Mart Regular Price $5.98. Amazon price $5.00, minus $2.00 coupon, minus fifteen percent $2.55 or $1.28 per bottle! Total savings $3.43
- Monster Energy Drinks 16 Oz. 24 Pack – Kroger LOW Price $38.61 Amazon regular price $35.28 minus fifteen percent $29.99 Total Savings $8.62
- Suave Women’s Deodorants 24 Hour Protection 2 Pack. (Deliver every four months.) K-Mart Price $5.99 Amazon regular price $2.94. Minus fifteen percent $2.50 or $1.25 per bottle. Total Savings $3.49
Combined total savings on all these products = $17.78 plus 7.25% in sales tax equals $19.07
Definitely not too bad considering I’m getting only the things I need, when I need them, delivered straight to my door. Plus I can modify or cancel my order at any time! So check out Amazon Subscribe And Save.
It took me about a little over an hour to figure out which products I could score a good deal one. Now I have a portion of my household savings on autopilot and can move on to fixing another budget category next month.
Have you ever used Amazon’s Subscribe and Save program?
Alexa Mason is a freelance writer and wanna be internet entrepreneur. She is also a newly single mom to two beautiful little girls. She chronicles her journey as a single mom trying to make it big at www.singlemomsincome.com.