It seems like every day we are asked to spend money on something; rent, bills, food, a gift, etc. It’s hard to feel like we have money left over for ourselves, or for any sort of fun once all is said and done.
But with a little imagination, and an appreciation for the simple things, you could do a whole slew of things for absolutely no money. That’s right: $0.
Here is a list of 15 totally free things you can do to have fun.
- Go to the park. We spend too much time sitting and on a computer these days. Get outside and explore! Parks are nice to hang out in and relax.
- Go to the library and rent a movie or check out a book. Who needs Amazon when you can get what you want for free?
- Go to a local art walk. Many cities have art walks with local galleries open for viewing. It tends to be the first or last week of the month, but check your local arts calendar in your city.
- Check out your local community center’s event calendar. You can find free performances, lectures, and classes at your local community center.
- Take a nap. My personal favorite. Naps may seem like they are a call to your youth, but they feel just as good as an adult. Catch up on some much needed zzzz’s and relax.
- Volunteer to be an usher at a performance at your local theater. Contact your local theater, orchestra or music venue and see if you can volunteer to be an usher. You could save anywhere between $10-$100+ dollars by volunteering and seeing a show!
- Volunteer your time and give to the less fortunate. Giving back to the community is a great way to boost your mood and make a difference in the lives of others.
- Have a dance party in your bedroom. Put on some sweet jams and rock out in your bedroom. I personally use Songza as my preferred music station. Turn up the speakers and dance like no one is watching!
- Take a relaxing bath. Unwind and relieve the stress of the day with a nice hot bath.
- Meditate. Sit up straight, cross your legs, and with your eyes opened, or closed, focus on your breathing. Do this for at least 5 minutes, but ideally for as long as possible. You will feel centered and relaxed. See where your mind goes and let it think freely.
- Create a fort in your living room and go “camping”. Don’t have a tent? Don’t have time off to go camping? Create a fort in your living room with some sheets and blankets.
- Write in your journal. This is a great way to capture your thoughts, free write, and express yourself. You don’t have to show it to anyone, it’s just for you. Write whatever you want, for however long you want.
- Go for a run or long walk in a new neighborhood. Get your body moving and go for a run, or a long walk in a different neighborhood than your own. You can explore the scenery, boost your endorphins, and get fit.
- Raid your fridge and come up with a new recipe. Look in your fridge and come up with something new to make. Try out a new recipe and enjoy. Some of the best things I’ve made came out of necessity. Necessity is the mother of invention, so you might come up with something delicious and new!
- Read blogs about your favorite topic. I’m biased but there are a ton of amazing blogs out there around nearly every topic around. Do you like personal finance? Look no further! Clothes? Star Wars? Gadgets? There are other blogs out there for that, too.
It’s fun to go out and spend money from time to time, but it is possible to have fun and enjoy your life without spending an extra dime. Using a little creativity and innovation, you can transform almost anything into a free, frugal activity.
What other free things for fun do you do?