Now that the holiday season is over, most people take on New Year's resolutions that include some type of improvement in their health. According to a recent study: fitness, losing weight, quitting smoking or drinking, and de-stressing all topped people's New Year's resolutions.
Here are 10 easy ways to start a healthier year:
1. Get Enough Sleep – Getting a good night's sleep should be a top priority. It is much easier to stay calm and positive when you are well rested. Furthermore, individuals who do not get a good night's sleep are more likely to develop serious health problems later in life.
2. Eat Better Foods – You should focus on eating a diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low in fat. While you shouldn't deprive yourself of treats, you also shouldn't do fast food burgers three nights a week. You want to make sure that the greater part of your diet is healthy and nourishing.
3. Take a Multivitamin – Most people should consider asking their doctor about taking a multivitamin. Many people do not get the full amounts of vitamins in the foods they eat, and this is a great way to ensure that your body has everything it needs to be healthy.
4. Take a Quick Walk – This is a great way to stay fit and de-stress. Take a quick 15 minute walk outside, take the stairs at work, or just stand and do some stretches. Any ways you do it, you should get the blood flowing during the day.
5. Get a Regular Exercise Routine – Exercise can boost your energy levels and improve your overall health. It can also be a great way to lose some extra weight. While many gyms have high membership fees, there are many local clubs that may be low-cost, or you can work out yourself at home.
6. Know When to Say “No” – If you are looking to keep your stress level low, don't take on more personal obligations than you can realistically handle. You don't need to be “super-person”. Know when to say “no” to avoid creating undue stress in your life.
7. Use a List – It can be very helpful to prioritize and make a list of what you need to accomplish. Try to delegate tasks to family when you can, and focus on the important stuff first. Also, if you are trying to get organized, there are many great free online tools to help.
8. Find Some Personal Time – Make sure that you set aside some time to do things for yourself. Even small activities like listening to music, chatting with a friend, or doing a crossword puzzle can ease tension and bring fullness to your life. Relaxation can be the key to success.
9. Take One Day at a Time – Remember to take one day at a time. This can be especially helpful if you are starting a new routine. Studies show that it takes 21 days of repetitive actions to create a new habit. So, if you are trying to work-out, or eat healthy, take it a day at a time until it becomes a new habit.
10. Turn to your Company's Resources – Many companies offer a wide variety of health and wellness benefits that most employees do not take advantage of. The can include: counseling, legal aid, financial services, vacation services, and more. If you are going to do a given activity anyway, why not get a discount!
Does anyone have any other advice to start a healthier year?