Virginia Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
Virginia has several student loan forgiveness programs that are specific to just the State of Virginia.
However, residents of the State of Virginia can also potentially qualify for various Federal student loan forgiveness programs.
You can find a great list of Federal student loan forgiveness programs here: Top Student Loan Forgiveness Programs.
Virginia Loan Forgiveness Programs
Program: Virginia State Loan Repayment Program
- Amount: Up to $140,000
- Description: This VA-SLRP is operated by the Virginia Department of Health-Office of Minority Health and Health Equity (VDH-OMHHE) providing a non-taxed incentive to qualified medical, dental, behavioral health and pharmaceutical (pharmacists) professionals in return for a minimum of two (2) years of service at an eligible practice site in one of the federally designated Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) in a qualified field of practice in Virginia.
§ Shall be citizens or nationals of the US
§ Have completed residency training and be board eligible or board certified
§ Shall be licensed to practice in Virginia
§ Shall be employed at an eligible site
§ Shall have documented outstanding student loans
§ Shall not be under any other contractual service obligation
§ Shall not have any federal liens or judgments
- Program Details: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OMHHE/primarycare/incentives/loanrepayment/forms.htm
Program: Virginia Loan Forgiveness Program
- Amount: Varies
- Description: For the Classes of 2013 and later, the Law School’s revised loan forgiveness program (VLFP II) helps repay the loans of graduates who earn less than $75,000 annually in public service positions. Participants in the program who earn less than $55,000 annually receive benefits covering 100 percent of their qualifying law school loans. Those earning between $55,000 and $75,000 receive benefits prorated based on income.
- Program Details: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/publicserv/loanforgive.htm
Program: LSC Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Amount: Up to $5,600 yearly, for 3 years
- Description: The LSC Herbert S. Garten Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) is intended to help programs recruit and retain qualified attorney staff. Attorneys who are selected to participate in LSC’s LRAP receive loans for up to three (3) years, as long as they remain eligible and funding is available.
§ At the time of initial application, a PA must have no more than five years (60 months) experience with the LSC-funded legal services program that employs the PA.
§ At the time of initial application or renewal, a PA must be a full-time employee as a licensed attorney of a LSC-funded legal services program (that is, work at least 35 hours per week or its equivalent per the program’s pay period).
§ At the time of initial application, a PA must have a total outstanding debt of at least $75,000 in eligible law school loans
§ At the time of initial application, a PA’s total annual income may not exceed $62,500 and the PA’s total net worth may not exceed $35,000
§ A PA may not have previously received 36 months of LSC LRAP loans or defaulted on a previous LSC LRAP loan. A PA also may not have included a previously received LSC LRAP loan in any bankruptcy filing as a dischargeable debt.
§ If a PA receives LSC LRAP assistance, the PA is expected to complete three years of employment with the LSC-funded legal services program that employs the PA, commencing the first day of the original loan term.
- Program Details: http://grants.lsc.gov/apply-for-funding/lrap/lsc-lrap-program-description
Return to Student Loan Forgiveness Programs by State.
Discover How You Can Be Debt Free
Join the 21,000 other members who've already taken the first steps towards student loan freedom. Sign up and get my five free tactics to lower your student loan debt.